Two new fields in the area of communications technology have recently appeared: mobile ad hoc networks and sensor networks. The emergence of these very promising systems is mainly due to great technological progress in the field of wireless communication protocols; they will make it possible to offer a broad range of new applications in both civilian and militarian contexts. However, the inherent characteristics of these system contain new challenges.
This book deals with various important fields related to the evolution and growth of these flexible and self-organized networks. The authors tackle critical problems such as the design of unicast/multicast routing protocols, support for quality of service, security mechanisms for routing and data transmission, service location, techniques for clustering/self-organization, mobility of code and fault-tolerance techniques.
The discussion adopts an analysis-oriented approach which aims to cover current cutting-edge aspects of these fields and to highlight potential future developments, making it essential reading for anyone wishing to gain a better understanding of these exciting new areas.
1. Introduction, Houda Labiod.
2. Ad Hoc Networks: Principles and Routing, Stéphane Ubéda.
3. Quality of Service Support in MANETs, Pascale Minet.
4. Multicast Ad Hoc Routing, Houda Labiod.
5. Self-organization of Ad Hoc Networks: Concepts and Impacts, Fabrice Theoleyre, Fabrice Valois.
6. Approaches for Ubiquitous Computing, Mohamed Bakhouya, Jaafar Gaber.
7. Service Discovery Protocols for MANETs, Abdellatif Obaid, Azzedine Khir.
8. Distributed Clustering in Ad Hoc Networks and Applications, Romain Mellier, Jean-Frédéric Myoupo.
9. Security for Ad Hoc Routing and Forwarding, Sylvie Laniepce.
10. Fault-tolerant Distributed Algorithms for Scalable Systems, Sébastien Tixeuil.
11. Code Mobility in Sensor Networks, Fabrício A. Silva, Linnyer B. Ruiz, José M. Nogueira, Thais R. Braga.
12. Vehicle-to-vehicle Communications: Applications and Perspectives, Rabah Meraihi, Sidi-Mohammed Senouci, Djamal-Eddine Meddour, Moez Jerbi.
Houda Labiod is an Associate Professor at ENST (Ecole Nationale Supérieure des Télécommunications), Paris, France in the INFRES (Computer Science and Network) department