This book explains the evolutions of architecture for mobiles and summarizes the different technologies:
– 2G: the GSM (Global System for Mobile) network, the GPRS (General Packet Radio Service) network and the EDGE (Enhanced Data for Global Evolution) evolution;
– 3G: the UMTS (Universal Mobile Telecommunications System) network and the HSPA (High Speed Packet Access) evolutions:
- HSDPA (High Speed Downlink Packet Access),
- HSUPA (High Speed Uplink Packet Access),
– 4G: the EPS (Evolved Packet System) network.
The telephone service and data transmission are the two main services provided by these networks. The evolutions are fundamentally dictated by the increase in the rate of data transmission across the radio interface between the network and mobiles.
This book is intended as a readily understandable support to help students and professionals wishing to quickly acquire the main concepts of networks for mobiles understand the technologies deployed.
1. The GSM Network.
2. The GPRS Network.
3. The UMTS Network.
4. The NGN.
5. The EPS Network.
6. The IMS Network.
André Perez is a consultant and a trainer in networks and telecommunications, who defines the implementation of operator networks. He also teaches network technologies in engineering and technical schools.