The development of unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) has made an impressive journey from military applications to world hobbyists and, now, to what seems to be an ever-growing set of meaningful civilian applications.
However, there are still hurdles to overcome: technical challenges, immature technology, delays in legislation, ever-changing certification and operational requirements, safety, privacy and security concerns, impatient investors and programmatic risks, to name only a few.
The purpose of this book is to provide important insights into important areas of UAV development and application, emphasizing the use of multi rotor platforms. The chapters of this book cover topics such as classification, UAV integration in the national airspace, architecture, mission and path planning, task optimization, separation assurance and fault tolerance, navigation and flight control, and data/image processing.
This book is an outcome of the research at the University of Cincinnati and the University of Bordeaux.
1. Integration in the National Airspace (Europe and USA) – UAV Classification and Associated Missions, Regulation and Safety, Certification and Air Traffic Management, George Thomas Black, Kelly Cohen and Catherine Ronflé-Nadaud.
2. UAV Classification and Associated Mission, Jean-Louis Roch.
3. UAV System Engineering, Sophie Lescure.
4. Large-Scale UAV Trajectory Planning Using Fluid Dynamics Equations, Mohammadreza Radmanesh, Kelly Cohen and Manish Kumar.
5. Genetic Fuzzy System for Solving the Aircraft Conflict Resolution Problem, Anoop Sathyan, Nicholas Ernest, Loïc Lavigne, Franck Cazaurang, Manish Kumar and Kelly Cohen.
6. Diagnostics and Fault-Tolerant Path Planning, César Martínez Torres, Loïc Lavigne and Franck Cazaurang.
7. LQR Controller Applied to Quadcopter System Dynamics Identification and Verification Through Frequency Sweeps, Zachary Carlton, Wei Wei and Kelly Cohen.
8. Autonomous Navigation and Target Geo-Location in GPS Denied Environment, Manish Kumar, Mohammad Sarim and Alireza Nemati.
9. Real-Time Video and FLIR Image Processing for Enhanced Situational Awareness, Manish Kumar, Anoop Sathyan and Kelly Cohen.
10. Design, Fabrication and Flight Tests of Small UAVs Using Additive Manufacturing, Nathaniel Richards, Justin Ouwerkerk, Bryan Brown and Kelly Cohen.
11. Genetic Fuzzy Single and Collaborative Tasking for UAV Operations, Nicholas Ernest, Anoop Sathyan and Kelly Cohen.
Franck Cazaurang is Professor of Control Engineering, Professor in the College of Science and Technology, and director of IMA at the University of Bordeaux, France. He was formerly Guest Professor at the École de technologie supérieure (School of Higher Technology) in Montreal, Canada, and is co-leader of WG training at the Cluster Aquitain Services et Systèmes de Drones AETOS, France.
Kelly Cohen is Professor of Aerospace Engineering & Engineering Mechanics, Interim Department Head & Brian H. Rowe Endowed Chair in Aerospace Engineering at the University of Cincinnati, USA. He is also a consultant in UAVS & Intelligent Systems.
Manish Kumar directs the Cooperative Distributed Systems (CDS) Laboratory, and co-directs UAV MASTER Lab. He is also a Professor in the Department of Mechanical and Materials Engineering at the University of Cincinnati, USA. His research interests include UAVs, robotics and decision-making and control in complex systems.
Table of Contents
PDF File 109 Kb