Systems of Systems
Publication Date: February 2010 Hardback 560 pp.
In recent decades, the systems designed in the fields of banking, health, transportation, space, aeronautics, defense, etc. have been becoming increasingly larger. With the growing maturity of information and communication technologies, systems have been interconnected within growing networks, yielding new services through the combination of the system functionalities. This has led to an increasing complexity that has to be managed in order to take advantage of these system integrations.
Part 1 “Systems of Systems: Concepts and Practical Illustrations” is a multidisciplinary work on the concept of the "systems of systems" that is discussed extensively in current literature. After a critical comparison of the different definitions and a range of various practical illustrations, it provides key answers as to what a system of systems is and how its complexity can be mastered.
Part 2 “Systems of Systems Engineering: Methods, Standards and Tools”’ focuses on both engineering and modeling, and standardization issues which are critical in order to deal with the key steps of systems-of-systems engineering: elicitation of stakeholders’ needs, architecture optimization, integration of constituent systems, qualification and utilization.
Part 1. Systems of Systems: Concepts and Practical Illustrations
1. Systems of Systems: From Concept to Actual Development, D. Luzeaux.
2. Emergence and Complexity of Systems of Systems, P. Micouin.
3. Contractual Aspects of the Acquisition and Use of Systems of Systems, D. Véret.
4. The Human Factors Within the Context of Systems of Systems, J.-R. Ruault.
5. Space Communications and Observation Systems of Systems, F. Pradeilles and D. Luzeaux.
6. Intelligent Transport Systems, M. Chavret.
7. Systems of Systems in the Healthcare Field, J.-R. Ruault.
8. Critical Infrastructures Protection, J.-L. Zolesio.
9. Globalization and Systemic Impacts, D. Luzeaux, J.-R. Ruault and L. Kam.
Part 2. Systems of Systems Engineering: Methods, Standards and Tools
10. Methods and Tools for Systems of Systems Engineering, D. Luzeaux.
11. Model-driven Design and Simulation, L. Kam.
12. Standardization in the Field of System and Systems of Systems Engineering, J.-R. Ruault and J.-P. Meinadier.
About the Authors
Dominique Luzeaux has been employed by the Ministry of Defense for over 20 years. He was Director of the Complex System Engineering Department from 2002 to 2004, and Chief Information Officer from 2005 to 2007. He is currently Deputy Director of the service in charge of the C4ISR (Computerized Command, Control, Communications, Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance) programs. He has written over 60 articles in international conferences and journals, and teaches robotics, theoretical computer science and system engineering at graduate level.
After over 10 years as a consultant on software engineering and human-computer interaction, Jean-René Ruault was hired in 2004 by the Ministry of Defense as an expert in systems engineering, standardization and human factors. He has published several articles on system engineering and human-computer interactions, and was co-chairman of the ERGO-IA’06 conference.